Get an official translation of your driver’s license here

2 min read

Looking to drive in Costa Rica?  Then you probably already heard you need an official translation of your driver’s license to submit to the Costa Rican DMV (aka MOPT -Ministerio de Obras Públicas y Transportes-).  We can help -we offer official translations authorized by the Costa Rican Ministry of Foreign Affairs.  If you’re pressed for time you’re in luck too- we can have the official translation of your license ready usually within 24 hours.  Just give us a call, text or email us at (506) 8938-5760 |  We are located in Escazú -but if you’re out of town or don’t have time to pick up your translation here (key in: ‘presas’ everywhere) we offer nationwide shipping through Correos de Costa Rica.

Read on for more information on the requirements and some tips we’ve gathered from our clients who’ve gone through the process.

The process of getting your foreign driver’s license validated in Costa Rica is done in the COSEVI Building -located on the west side of Banco Nacional in Uruca (using Waze? type in: COSEVI).  Tip: We heard from our clients this is done by appointment only and that officials get really fuzzy -so have all your paperwork ready and double check it! We’ve heard unfortunate stories of people getting turned down or asked to come back for the smallest of things.

Here’s the list of requirements posted on MOPT’s official web page:

  1. Valid driver’s license issued by a foreign country.  License must be in good condition (i.e. legible, not super worn-out).  If your license is in a language other than Spanish you need to get an official translation (issued by an official translator authorized by the Costa Rican Ministry of Foreign Affairs) (key in: karlssontranslations).
  2. Valid ID with a valid visa or valid migratory standing.
  3. Medical certificate.
  4. It’s hard to make sense out of this next requirement, but here it goes: To validate a C-2, B-2, B-3 and B-4-type license: your foreign driver’s license must have been issued 3 or more years ago.  For a B-2-type license: B-1 license issued 2 or more years ago.  For a B-3-type license: B-2 license issued 3 or more years ago.  For a B-4 license: have at least 22 years of age and a B-3 license issued 3 or more years ago.
  5. Payment of fee (at the time we’re writing this is 4,000 colones -but we recommend you check MOPT’s official website to make sure!).

→Remember, at karlssontranslations we have been duly appointed to offer official translations authorized by the Costa Rican Ministry of Foreign Affairs and we’ll be happy to hear from you.

For quotes: email us a photo or scan of your documents and we’ll reply with a price & time estimate.  One page documents/certificates are usually ready within 24 hours.

Follow us on: FacebookInstagramTwitterPinterest & YouTube for more info!



Our clients.

Law No. 6227: Public Administration Law.

Ley No. 8764: General Immigration Law.

Ley No. 9078: Transit Law.

Executive Decree No. 30968: Establishes fees for driver’s licenses.

Official Website of Ministerio de Obras Públicas y Transportes.


A %d blogueros les gusta esto: